ptSPEAKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contract Vote

+2
ThunderRider
Pee Kaa
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Contract Vote - Page 3 Empty Re: Contract Vote

Post  Pee Kaa Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:00 am

Let me ask you this Thunder, there are countless teachers who do not go the extra mile that you do many getting by with only a bachelors degree. Case in point is a teacher that "retired" last year with 44 years of service with the PT district, he had only a bachelors degree. How do you feel about these people making the big bucks alongside you? I know if it were me, I would be irratated.

How much of your continuing education is paid for by the district? The school board is constantly approving payment for credits earned and it usually is in the thousands of dollars.

Remember on Tuesday Novemebr 3rd....VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!!!
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Athena Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:28 pm

ThunderRider wrote:

I'm not complacent either. My intentions are to continually educate myself through graduate education and professional development courses. I deserve to be compensated for my efforts and I'm not the only one who benefits from my efforts. It is about me, my family, and the children in this community. It is why I spend countless of extra hours in the Summer, on the weekends, and in the evenings honing my skills for the benefit of everyone that I encounter. I just returned from a conference today, which is why I haven't responded sooner.

You're getting a lot of bang for your buck with me. If your calling doesn't pay big bucks then don't be complacent. Do something to better yourself, or change careers as I have in the past. That's not being rude. That's having the tenacity to do something about your situation.

If you like the perks that teachers have, why don't you join us? Seize the day!

Thunder Cool

I am happy with what I do and have no desire to change careers.

Like many people, I also work evenings, weekends and--egads, yes--summers. I, too, attend conferences, educational workshops and seminars. I, too, have continued my professional education and am well respected by my professional peers. I applaud you for going the extra mile--but I have to point out that many people go the extra mile. I feel that raises should be singled out by individual performance, not a contract to the masses.

Athena

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Pee,

Any teacher who works that long deserves longevity pay.

There is a small incentive to get your Master's degree and beyond. It's so small that many veteran teachers probably figure it's not worth it. I'd like to see a bigger incentive for teachers with Master's degrees and every 10 credits post Master's.

Part of my graduate study was reimbursed, but not nearly what it cost.

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Athena,

As I've stated many times in the past, merit pay is not a perfect system and definitely wouldn't work in education. It's very difficult to measure when dealing with students. A teacher working with special needs students may work very hard with measurable results difficult to obtain. Often these students are in the classroom and the teacher next door may not have the same situation.

There is no perfect system, but I have always said that I am surrounded by dedicated professionals who do their job everyday.

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3