ptSPEAKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Contract Vote

+2
ThunderRider
Pee Kaa
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Contract Vote - Page 2 Empty Re: Contract Vote

Post  hokapsig Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:18 pm

ThunderRider wrote:Sounds like a good question for your local school board representative.

Here's a good question, "Why does the Trib only publish what the two school board members who voted no had to say, when there are seven who voted yes? I'm sure they would have more positive things to say about competitive compensation and benefits."

Thunder Cool

Becuase the other members that voted "for" will not be members come next election. EXACTLY why, in this economy with thousands of unemployed teachers, are we choosing to overpay these teachers???? Nothing like bidding against yourself. Hopefully in the upcoming election, NEW board members with common sense will be voted in. Board members who have the word "NO" in thier vocabulary.

hokapsig

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Pee Kaa,

Have no fear. Hok has come to your rescue!

Don't worry old pal. Now that the contract has been competitively settled, the field turf and new buildings are right behind!

Hok,

The new board that you demanded last time just voted 7-2. That's better than the board they replaced who voted 5-4. I can't wait for the next board. Looks like we're moving towards a 9-0 vote!

My prediction is at least 8-1 with a new person, that we all know well, voting against anything even remotely competitive for the teachers.

T$ Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 am

Thanks for your support!

FYI: The replacement of the turf has been tabled for 2 consecutive years. Actually now that the field is being properly maintained the test results this year were actually better than last year. As far as new buildings go, I'm all for it. Maybe not the plan that I have heard of but definately some form of replacements that would help drive down operating expenses.
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:25 am

Just don't give it to the teachers, right?

T Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:50 am

The building issue has been put on the back burner now for the last 2 PTEA contracts.
You got what you wanted now it's time for the district to get what it needs.

As you (and Coach Tomlin) would say....it's time to move on Arrow
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Chief Charlie Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:34 am

I would just like to thank the two of you , Pee Kaa and ThunderRider for posting. You two seem to be the only ones that have an interest in our community. I would appreciate if you would spread the word about this forum. There are many topics in our community that need aired out, not just the teachers that you two seem to be focused on. Thanks again.

The Chief
Chief Charlie
Chief Charlie
Admin

https://ptspeaks.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:24 am

Your welcome Chief. Not to step on your toes, but another forum may be coming back soon. Hopefully, between the two, we can keep things going.

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 pm

We should be thanking you chief for giving us a place to air it out. I like you would like to see more activity but most people are all talk.

Thunder....I'll believe it when I see it!! Laughing
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Look for yourself!

Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Chief Charlie Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:10 am

ThunderRider wrote:Your welcome Chief. Not to step on your toes, but another forum may be coming back soon. Hopefully, between the two, we can keep things going.

Thunder Cool

Thunder,
I welcome any medium that lets the public speak what's on their mind.
Can you pass the forum information on to me when open?

The Chief
Chief Charlie
Chief Charlie
Admin

https://ptspeaks.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:19 am

Chief,

www.pteducators.org community forum is back in business again. Lets work together!

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Athena Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:53 am

I try to stay neutral on topics like this because I am not familiar with the contracts and am relatively new to the school system, but I am always left wondering at the end of contract negociations: why is the issue always about pay, healthcare and benefits? Why is it never about curriculum, length of school day, content in the textbooks, etc.? Have there ever been any concerns regarding the students?

Athena

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:42 am

That's a really good question Athena....a question a number of us have been asking for 4 or 5 years now.Many of the teachers will tell you that teaching is a "Calling" that this is what they were meant to do, it's all about the kids. Come contract time everything changes. They want "Comepetitive pay" they tell us that they are professionals and that their years of schooling are worth more, they also need to live. Some have said that they desreve to be making a six figure salary for working 9 months out of the year. Even though they want to be comparable in pay with our neighbors in Plum their new contract still has them only paying a flat dollar amount for healthcare until the cost of the plan reaches $16k a year. Only then will they start paying 6% of the cost. Guess what?? Plum's last contract has their teachers paying 8% with the percentage increasing each year of the contract. While others in the community are struggeling with job losses, cut wages and increased health care benefit costs they continue to demand more because they "Deserve" it. Case in point that was brought up on this site, the directors of PTARC froze their wages this year, no increase, because they realise the economy is bad and putting more on the public is not an option.

I'm sure that Thunder will chime in with his propaganda so we will wait to see what he refutes.

If you have some spare time and want to get caught up on some of the teacher activity go to the recently reinstated web forum that Thunder has posted about.

Feel free to question things, it's good to get things out in the open.

Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:18 pm

ThunderRider wrote:Cool

Sad

I'd be smiling too, all the way to the bank, if I just received a guarnteed 5% increase for the next 5 years.
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 am

Maybe you should become a teacher if it's such an attractive career? I know some Universities that are looking for a few good men.

I quit a very good job at Westinghouse to pursue my dream. Go for it!

Thunder Cool

P.S. I'll pay Plum's benefit percentage if I can have their six figure income! PT won't make current Plum money for at least 10 - 15 more years! By then, Plum will be making around $115,000 or more!

Last edited by ThunderRider on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 am

There is no public teaching job in the state of PA that should be paid anywhere near 6 figures, not even if you worked year round.
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am

"There in lies the rub."

That's Shakespeare if you didn't recognize it. Now you have to understand it. Good luck!

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 am

WHOA.......so you can quote Shakespeare ! That may impress a group of 3rd or 4th graders but it still doesn't qualify you for a 6 figure salary in my book.

Fact is, after 2 consecutive contracts that provided wage increases far above the current rate experienced in the private sector you still want more.

There in lies the true rub!
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 am

If I'm ever in a room full of people and 90% of the them are saying yes and I'm in the 10% saying no, I am going to have to wonder, "Is it them, or is it me?"

Thunder Cool

P.S. Not being impressed with Shakespeare, seven years of college, paying your own way, quitting a very good job to better yourself, taking risks, dedicating yourself to a calling, when none of that impresses you, that is part of the problem, and there in lies the rub!

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Athena Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:37 am

It is not my intention to be rude, Thunder, but a lot of people (including myself) have paid their own way through college and dedicate their work everyday in a job that is for us too a calling, and--at least for me--my calling does not equal big bucks.

Again, I have to notice that the responses are me, me, me. Where are the concerns for the kids?

Athena

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 pm

ThunderRider wrote:If I'm ever in a room full of people and 90% of the them are saying yes and I'm in the 10% saying no, I am going to have to wonder, "Is it them, or is it me?"Thunder Cool
I doubt you would know that feeling as you are always right.

P.S. Not being impressed with Shakespeare, seven years of college, paying your own way, quitting a very good job to better yourself, taking risks, dedicating yourself to a calling, when none of that impresses you, that is part of the problem, and there in lies the rub!
All are personal choices you made them not me. When you agreed to a job in this district I assume you understood what the pay was and how the benefits were handled. All of a sudden the terms are not acceptable and you want them changed to suit your needs and wants. Your actions remind me of many of the residents that moved to PT in the last 15 years for lower taxes and country living. Once the get settled in they complain about a farmer driving his tractor on the road, lack of a constant police presence or lack of a public swimming pool or a dog park so they have a place for their dog to take a crap like they had back in the city.....all at the taxpayers expense. Why did they not stay in the city if this is what they wanted? If you didn't like what the district offered you should never have applied.

Last edited by Pee Kaa on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Pee Kaa Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Athena wrote:It is not my intention to be rude, Thunder, but a lot of people (including myself) have paid their own way through college and dedicate their work everyday in a job that is for us too a calling, and--at least for me--my calling does not equal big bucks.

Again, I have to notice that the responses are me, me, me. Where are the concerns for the kids?

And the light comes on!!!
Pee Kaa
Pee Kaa

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:23 am

Athena,

It is not my intention to be rude either. I have a great deal of time, dedication, and money invested in myself. I also have a family to support. I go to church every Sunday, but I am not a Priest, or a Monk. I need to earn a competitive wage to support my family.

Penn Trafford is not out of line with the going rate. There was a time when teachers that I work with right now made $7000.00 a year. They have fought over the years to earn a competitive wage along with respect from the community. Finally we have both, at least from most people. Some will never see the light.

I'm not complacent either. My intentions are to continually educate myself through graduate education and professional development courses. I deserve to be compensated for my efforts and I'm not the only one who benefits from my efforts. It is about me, my family, and the children in this community. It is why I spend countless of extra hours in the Summer, on the weekends, and in the evenings honing my skills for the benefit of everyone that I encounter. I just returned from a conference today, which is why I haven't responded sooner.

You're getting a lot of bang for your buck with me. If your calling doesn't pay big bucks then don't be complacent. Do something to better yourself, or change careers as I have in the past. That's not being rude. That's having the tenacity to do something about your situation.

I have a family member that didn't start college until he was 33 years old and had five children. He earned two Master's Degrees and a Doctorate Degree, ABD. That's tenacity. That's guts. That's gumption!

If you like the perks that teachers have, why don't you join us? Seize the day!

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  ThunderRider Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:39 am

"Pee,"

I am not always right. Just ask my wife!

All 501 public school districts in Pennsylvania operate the same way. Contracts are negotiated usually for about 3-6 years and then new deals are made. If you're unhappy with that then you need to take it up with the governor, who by the way, is a big supporter of public education in Pennsylvania.

I love what this district has to offer. I also live that, along with the other 501 public schools in the state, they are willing to revisit the terms of the agreement every few years. I started at less than $25,000 a year. Are you suggesting that I remain complacent with that amount? Should I be content with the $7,000 a year that veteran teachers were making years ago? I'm sure you've earned increases over the years. Why shouldn't I?

I am very happy with the choices that I've made. Are you happy with yours?

Thunder Cool

ThunderRider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next